Taniwha TSH 8' #5 uni-directional S-glass fly rods (4-piece), with rod sock and optional rod tube
TSH blanks are made from uni-directional S-glass, a higher strain and faster recovery fiberglass almost identical in modulus to cane, with a helical wound S-glass scrim for improved hoop strength and faster blank recovery. Ferrules are tip-over-butt (not spigots).
The blank action is fast-medium to fast for glass with the initial flex mainly in the top third of the blank. The relaxed smoothness that is the hallmark of casting a fiberglass fly rod is retained, but with plenty of zip on line shoot and ample reserve power to fight larger fish or to lift and aerialise longer lines.
Taniwha S-helix series of fibre glass fly rod tapers are specified to my requirements through several prototype testing stages. They are made for us by a designer whose early career included designing high performance fly rods for a well-regarded New Zealand brand before establishing his own advanced composites manufacturing facility based in China. They offer excellent performance, and first class fit and finish at a surprisingly reasonable price for this quality.
Taniwha TSH TSH 805 8' #5 model description
A river all rounder with plenty of power and a crisp, medium-fast to fast for glass action. Tip sensitivity favours river applications including all normal sizes of dry fly, duo rigs, nymphs up to around 3-4mm tungsten bead. Added mid and butt power so will also cast smaller streamers and lures well.
Superb quality blank and components at a great price. Taniwha Rodworks exclusive. These are semi-custom rods, pre-wrapped and partly pre- assembled. This keeps the price very reasonable but also means that choices are limited to reel seats and available agate guides. A few days are needed to fit your choice of reel seat before shipping.
Base price option £175 (£210 inc VAT within UK)
- Grey translucent sanded finish 4-piece unidirectional S-glass blank
- Tip-over-butt ferrules
- Excellent quality cork slim reverse half wells handle
- Silver finish snake guides and colour matching round loop standard size tiptop, cork check and hook keeper
- Red agate nickel silver frame
- Silver finish SUL reel seat (black seat can be requested)
- Subtle contrast low build epoxy wraps
- Black cordura rod tube and sturdy black rod sock
- Taniwha decal and rod model inscription
- 12 month warranty for the original owner.
Upgrade option £225 (£270 inc VAT within UK):
- As above but fitted with any available Lemke Concepts LC1 or LC7 or Struble U20 uplock reel seat and your choice of wood insert. Review the reel seat and insert product listings for the available options in stock and send us a message with your choice (the listing photos are representative examples only)
- A choice of red, coffee banded , clear or blue agates subject to availability.
Optional rod tube upgrade - see product extras
- Ice S-glass with black satin endcaps, no logo +£30 (£36 inc VAT within UK)